Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bigger Isn’t

The Joys of Small Pet
Ownership
by Jenna Wall, development &
communications assistant



Three months ago, rodents weren’t much more than a blip on my radar. I knew that some people kept them as pets, but I had never really considered adopting one of my own. Thanks to a chance meeting with a big rat called Tanuki, however, I now officially consider myself a “rat person.”

Rodents make wonderful companions for the right adopters, and can bring joy, laughter, and a bond that many people may not realize is possible. When most people think about the animals at Willamette Humane Society (WHS), they probably think
of dogs and cats. But here at WHS, we care for many rodents, too— including rats, mice, gerbils, and hamsters. Last year, 90 small rodents were adopted from WHS, and 66 have already been adopted this year.

I like to say that my rat, Tanuki, chose me as his person. He came to the shelter with 14 of his siblings and was being bullied by some of his brothers. He was missing a patch of hair on one side and was showing obvious signs of distress. As I cradled him, he crawled up to my shoulder and curled himself into the hood of
my sweatshirt, where he slept for the rest of the day. I was immediately smitten and decided to adopt him, thus beginning my love affair with pet rats.


Rodent Myths Debunked

Since adopting Tanuki, I learned that rats (like dogs) can respond to their names, to come when called, and can even learn to do tricks! Contrary to what many believe, rats and other rodents are also extremely clean and quiet animals. Most rodents will bathe themselves about six times per day, although they may benefit from an occasional dunk in the tub to stay smelling fresh. Most rats enjoy being handled and
petted by their human companions and generally like the company of other rats. At
Willamette Humane, we often recommend adopting rats and other rodents in same-sex
pairs.

Caring for Rodents

Like rats, mice, gerbils, and hamsters also make lovely small pets. They generally
live between two and four years. Rodents’ teeth grow constantly, and they MUST be
provided with adequate chew items (such as wooden chew blocks or hard dog biscuits)
to keep their teeth worn down. Wire cages offer better ventilation than glass tanks
and are much harder to chew through than plastic caging. Wood shavings (such as Joys of Small Pet Ownership/ 3 cedar and pine) should never be used as bedding, as their oils are toxic to small pets; instead consider hay, shredded paper, or bedding such as Care Fresh.

Most rodents also require attention, affection, and play time outside their cages to stay happy. Socialization is the key to having a friendly, happy, well-balanced pet rodent.

Next time you’re visiting the shelter or thinking of adopting a new friend, consider a rodent! They are relatively easy to care for, inexpensive, and with a little time and attention, can be wonderful companions with personalities much larger than their
pint-sized bodies might indicate. I’m proud to call myself a “rat person”
and am thankful every day for the love and laughter these little friends bring to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment